It's been a labour of love for nearly a decade for a bunch of cinemaphiles, and the Roxy Cinema is now very much opened! After a year-long rebuild from the ground up, the Roxy is set to ignite peoples desire to spend a night at the movies, once more.
Or a day for that matter.
With a licensed restaurant and lounge bar called Coco at the Roxy, visitors are encouraged to come early and stay late.
Open seven days from 9am, the Roxy houses two luxurious state-of-the-art cinema screens, a 60 seat restaurant with stunning interior features created by the extraordinary team at Weta Workshop.
The hard-working group behind the project include Weta Workshop founders Tania Rodger and Richard Taylor, Oscar-winning editor Jamie Selkirk and wife Ann, film lover Jo-Anne Lundon and technical advisor Tim Alexander, local foodies Valentina and Daminda Dias, and cocktail bar guru Jonny McKenzie.
Working to bring the movies back to Miramar for the enjoyment of locals and visitors to Wellington alike, the team welcome you to come for a visit soon.
The CAPITOL Theatre was purpose built in 1928 to screen silent films. In 1932 the cinema was converted to screen 'talkies' making it the last theatre in Wellington to do so. The cinema operated throughout the 30s through to the early 60s, with the last film being screened in 1964. The building was then converted to the CAPITOL Court, a shopping mall with a variety of small businesses operating. It sat idle for sometime before the Camperdown Studios group purchased it with thoughts to restore and revive it as a community cinema. Unfortunately for locals, a few movies like the Lord of the Rings trilogy got in the way of this project and it was shelved for a while. Eventually, the group got together and over many years (architects drawings were being pawed over as early as 2006) the project got under way and to the delight of the owners, locals and visitors alike, the Roxy opened it doors for business on 1 April 2011 (with the cinemas being opened on 7 April 2011).